This very well organized book is packed with practical solutions to the most common classroom management challenges faced by teachers. Dr. Harris provides strategies and solutions for behaviors such as: students who side talk, students who exhibit rude or disrespectful behavior, students who blurt out, students who struggle to maintain focus, and students who refuse to try and give up easily. Every solution is classroom-tested, highly effective, and easy to implement in the classroom setting! Use this book to help make your classroom a happier, more productive learning environment – one in which your students thrive and everyone benefits!
- Sort by Default Order
K 12 schools in the United States are suffering from an epidemic of teacher attrition: nearly half of all new teachers leave the field within their first five years, and thousands of teaching positions across the country are going unfilled. What can school leaders do about this persistent turnover and the resulting loss of human potential?
In this timely book, Bryan Harris describes the four broad supports that he says are crucial to helping early-career teachers succeed and stay in the profession: comprehensive induction programs, supportive administrators, skilled mentors, and helpful colleagues. He offers practical, research-based strategies to help leaders provide these supports and create a culture of collaboration across the school. The result is a school in which beginning teachers truly thrive as effective practitioners who see themselves successfully helping students learn more every day.
Is your classroom culture conducive to the expectations of the Common Core? Teaching content is not enough; students need a classroom structure and atmosphere that will help them learn key academic skills. This practical book will show you how to transform your classroom culture, raise the level of rigor, encourage higher-level questioning and critical thinking, and promote academic discussions. You will also find out how to adjust your classroom management techniques so that students learn to regulate themselves while completing these higher-level tasks.
Special Features in Each Chapter:
- Key Idea—a summary of the essential idea that will be addressed in the chapter
- Practical strategies—a variety of easy-to-implement ideas that you can try right away
- Connections to the Common Core State Standards—how the skills taught in this book will help students meet the standards
- Reflection Questions—thoughtful questions that will help teachers apply their learning to their own classrooms. These questions can be answered independently or used in book study groups.
- Extend Your Knowledge—creative ideas for extending your knowledge beyond the ideas in this book
In this fun filled game, be the first to graduate High School with the most scholarship offers. Learn the “lingo” needed to apply for college scholarships and the classes needed to graduate at the top of your class.
Drive boredom out of your classroom – and keep it out – with the student-engagement strategies in this book. You’ll learn how to gain and sustain the attention of your students from the moment the bell rings. Perfect for teachers of all subjects and grade levels, these activities go head-to-head with student boredom and disengagement, resulting in class time that’s more efficient, more educational, and loads more fun! Contents include:
- Strategies to Begin a Lesson
- Strategies to End a Lesson
- Strategies for Solo/Independent Work
- Strategies for the Whole Group
Comprehensive. Complete. Concise.
The book covers everything on the new SAT in a non-intimidating way. We've carefully simplified our content and explanations to provide an accessible guide to everything on the new SAT.
Practice makes perfect
The book provides extensive practice sets to cover all aspects of the new SAT. We have 27 workout drills included in this book
Questions modeled after the SAT
Each question in our book goes through rigorous internal testing to replicate an actual SAT experience.
We teach strategies. Not just show them.
Unlike other prep books, we include exercises to help students reinforce the test-taking strategies we show them. We guide students through mastering a strategy before moving forward.
Thoroughly overhauled for the new SAT, Up Your Score is the only test-prep guide written by students—all of whom achieved perfect or near-perfect scores and went on to the colleges of their choice. A complement and reality check to the mainstream SAT study guides, it’s the book that kids recommend to each other, because it’s as entertaining as it is effective, showing students how to:
• Think like the SAT
• Master insider math tricks
• Remember the 13 most important grammar rules
• Hone their speed and timing
• Be a better guesser (and why it’s always better to guess)
• Vanquish anxiety and improve concentration
• Best fill in the answer circles, saving nearly six minutes
• Unwind with SAT Yoga
Packed with up-to-date information and smart strategies for the redesigned SAT, this new edition of Up Your Score is written with a sharp sense of humor in the irreverent voice of a peer, so it engages kids, rather than puts them to sleep. And, to really keep that energy up, it includes a recipe for Sweet & Tasty 800 Bars.
WORK SMARTER, NOT HARDER, with Get Your ACT Together Drill Book!
This edition of our popular ACT practice question compendium contains practice problems to help familiarize you with the exam, including both drills and tests and detailed answers and explanations to better support your understanding of tricky problems.
Practice Your Way to Perfection.
• Hundreds of additional questions (broken down by subject and equivalent in length to 3 more ACTs) to help you pinpoint your strengths and work through your weaknesses
• Targeted subject drills that emphasize critical English and Math skills for the ACT
Master Test Content with Strategic Explanations.
• Detailed explanations for practice questions to help you diagnose your mistakes and steadily improve
• Fundamental-skill approaches that show how to solve questions “your teacher’s way”
• Test-cracking techniques that demonstrate how to apply time tested strategies
Take Control of Your Prep.
• Score conversion charts help to assess your current progress
• Diagnostic drills allow you to customize a study plan and attain a higher score
• Essay checklists remind you how to write a high-scoring response
It’s the ACT’s turn. No longer considered a “regional” test and accepted at all four-year colleges throughout the United States, it’s the most popular college admissions test in the country. More than 1.8 million students from the class of 2013 took it.
Now updated to address the changes planned for the ACT , Getting Your ACT Together is the test prep and survival guide that kids will actually want to use. It’s a true insider’s guide, filled with effective strategies and tips, delivered with the attitude, smarts, and wit that make Up Your Score the best-selling alternative test prep series in print.
Beginning in 2015, the ACT will include more layers in its scoring (including separate STEM, English language arts, and “progress toward career readiness” sub-scores); in some places it will be administered digitally (and those tests will include optional “constructed-response” questions, in which students will have to come up with the answers, not select among multiple choices); and the essay will be less open ended, requiring more analysis. In addition to addressing these changes.